Skip to content

46 schools hit with Covid outbreaks

Nearly 2,000 pupils across Peterborough are isolating after a series of cases of Covid at city schools.
virus-4937553_1920
In Peterborough, 1818 students and 163 staff members are self-isolating after 46 schools report coronavirus cases (Photo: Pixabay)

The total number of students self-isolating has risen dramatically over the past week with 1,818 in Peterborough in quarantine int he week from November 9, up from 165 the previous week. In Peterborough, 46 schools have been affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

Peterborough City Council has not identified individual schools or said how many children or staff have contracted the virus, as some schools will only have single cases. 

A spokesman for PCC said: "A total of 209 staff and 1,772 pupils in Cambridgeshire are self-isolating as a result of these cases, with 163 staff and 1,818 pupils self-isolating in Peterborough."

The following number of schools in each area have also had confirmed cases of Covid-19:    

Cambridge City: 20    

Huntingdonshire: 19    

Fenland: 8    

South Cambs: 13    

East Cambs: 12    

Members of the city council Children and Scrutiny Committee were previously addressed at their online meeting on November 9, by Jonathan Lewis, service director (Education) at Peterborough City Council, who acknowledged that education services are under immense pressure due to the pandemic.  

During the meeting, he said: “I don’t think anybody would doubt the issues that face educators in the city at the moment and the challenges they face going forward.   

“The amount of work that’s being done is there to ensure that our early years schools and colleges remain open. Education is under significant pressure at the moment and the area I am most concerned about currently is elective home education.   

He added: "Not a single school has been forced to close as a result of Covid-19; something which my team and I and the educators of the city can be very proud of.   

“But, even with lockdown now happening, we still have a long way to go – I remain positive and I’ve done a lot of work with our school leaders so that relatively speaking we’re in a better position than many other parts of the country.”  

Mr Lewis further added: "The safety of our children, their families and our school staff is, and always will be, our top priority. We have worked hard over the past few months to implement robust safety measures to make our schools a safe place for our pupils and staff, and I firmly believe school remains the best place for children to continue learning during the lockdown.”