Skip to content

Hearing finds ex-police officer's conduct breached professional standards

A former police officer has been found to have breached professional standards after forming relationships with two vulnerable women.
The hearing found PC Geoff Lloyd would have been dismissed had he remained a serving officer

PC Geoff Lloyd, who was based in Peterborough, resigned from Cambridgeshire Constabulary in December 2018 after 17 years' service.

Last Wednesday (July 14) an independent panel found the former officer had breached the standards of professional behaviour for confidentiality, performance of duties, orders and instructions and discreditable conduct. 

The hearing heard that Lloyd assisted a woman at a traffic accident in 2008 and, following this interaction, remained in contact with her. 

The report said: "In our view ...he was obsessed by his desire to be accepted by her as her partner, whereas she saw him only as her 'best friend'.

"His attentions to her continued on and off for years until a consensual sexual relationship began in or about late July/early August 2015. We have found that in August 2015, he forced sexual intercourse upon her to which she had not consented."

The panel also heard that Lloyd sent her images connected to his work for no policing purpose. 

The second woman said that she met Lloyd while he was on duty in 2016 and said she was interested in joining the police. He suggested she attend a ‘ride-along’ and gave her his personal phone number, before he made sexual advances towards her.

It was also found that Lloyd misused police systems to search for individuals for non-policing purposes while employed by Cambridgeshire. 

The claims were found proven by the panel, and that both women were credible witnesses.

Lloyd had disputed the claims, but the panel's report said that: "We find that Mr Lloyd used his uniform and status as a police officer to develop and pursue relationships with two women who were each very much younger than himself, and each of whom he knew to be vulnerable."

The panel, which met from June 14 to 16 this year, agreed that his conduct amounted to gross misconduct and that he would have been dismissed had he remained a serving officer.