Skip to content

Social media boycott ends as Posh celebrate promotion

The social media boycott in protest against racism and online abuse in sport has ended, with Posh finally taking to Twitter to celebrate promotion to the Championship.
Peterborough United celebrated promotion to the Championship after a 3-3 draw with Lincoln City on Saturday

From 3pm last Friday, footballers, clubs and thousands of supporters logged off social platforms for the Bank Holiday weekend.

It came after several high-profile examples of unacceptable abuse levelled at sportspeople online, with many criticising the lack of measures taken by social media companies such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The boycott ended at 11.59pm on Monday.

Posh posted immediately, announcing their boycott had ended. Their statement read: "We know that you wanted to see us celebrate our success on social media, however, there was something bigger than promotion that we wanted to be part of", adding that "it was vitally important that we used our voice to help drive change".

They were also finally able to celebrate promotion to the Championship, after having to wait to do so since confirming second place in a thrilling clash with Lincoln City on Saturday.

League One Player of the Season Jonson Clarke-Harris, who scored the equalising goal in the 96th minute, took to Twitter at five minutes past midnight to celebrate the result. 

Goalkeeper Josef Bursik, who joined the team on loan when first-team keeper Christy Pym was injured at the beginning of April, waited until this morning to add his thoughts. His crucial penalty save against Charlton took Posh only one win away from automatic promotion with three games left to play.

Joe Ward was one of the players who went out to celebrate with fans when promotion was confirmed. He scored the opening goal in the previous game against Doncaster.

Jack Taylor was almost nonchalant in letting his followers know what the weekend had held.

Meanwhile, Sammie Szmodics has been responding to Twitter users after the controversial penalty decision during injury time, when he was deemed to be fouled by Anthony Scully in the area. Lincoln City have reportedly received an apology for the decision.

Champagne celebrations for the last home game of the season means that the pressure is off for the final away fixture against Doncaster.